Easy and healthy spinach pie recipe, prepared with filo dough, fresh spinach, rice and aromatic spices. This crust less spinach pie is rich on the inside and very crisp on the top . It’s absolutely delicious for breakfast, brunch or even light dinner. It’s vegan too.
Unique spinach pie recipe that I learned to make from my my granny in law many years ago. She used to prepare this pie whenever we visited (especially during spring time when spinach is widely available in Europe). She made the filo sheets herself (an art that I’m yet to master), which made her spinach pie uniquely scrumptious. She used to call the pie ”Shtirnik”. In her honor, I’m sharing the recipe with you today.
Since I have not learned to make my own filo pastry (yet), todays recipe uses store-bough filo sheets. It allows for a quicker and equally delicious pie to be prepared in about 30-40 minute time. So, let’s get cooking.
FILO DOUGH SPINACH PIE – INGREDIENTS
Spinach leaves – cleaned, fresh spinach leaves.
Onion – any type of onion works well. i like to use red or white to enhance the flavor.
Rice – I use white rise that cooks quickly. that way spinach does not get overcooked.
Vegetable oil – you can use sunflower oil (that’s what nana used) or olive oil.
Filo dough (sheets) – the recipe uses around 15 to 18 filo sheets. Approx. 400g.
Paprika – sweet, red paprika
Mint – dried mint leaves (or fresh works as well).
Lovage spice – creates an unique flavor for the pie.
Parsley – completes the blend of spices
Salt and black pepper to taste.
HOW TO MAKE FILO SPINACH PIE – watch video
TIPS for excellent results:
Use round large baking dish. That way you would need to wrinkle the filo sheets to create deeper layering and better taste.
Make sure to add equal amount of the filling on each layer. I like to count my spoons – 2 to 4 spoons per sheet.
Add some water to the leftover filling bowl, then moisten alongside the edges of the pie. That way the pie edges would be crisp but not dry.
Be generous with your spices. The more the better in this case.
Use a type of rice that cooks quickly (e.g. for 20-30 minutes cooking time max). Otherwise the spinach would become way mushier.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Easy Blueberry Lemon Waffles Recipe
- German applesauce cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies (Apfelmus-Kekse)
- One pot chicken in parsley sauce (30 minutes)
- Easy Cheese Bread (Georgian Khachapuri) -VIDEO
- Mediterranean Chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime
Spinach Pie Recipe with filo dough
- 1 onion head
- 1 cup vegetable oil (olive oil or sunflower oil), cup = 200 ml
- 1 kg fresh spinach leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup white rice, cup = 200 ml
- 1-2 tbsp mint leaves, dried
- 1 tbsp Lovage, minced
- 2-4 tbsp parsley, minced
- 1-2 tbsp sweet paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15-18 filo sheets , 400g altogether
- Wash spinach and chop in small pieces. Mince onion finely. Add onion and spinach to a cooking pot and sauté with some oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, add rice, water and remaining oil. Stir and let cook under a lid. In about 10 minutes add all spices and let cook until rice is completely cooked (on low heat).