Amazing spinach oat patties with feta cheese fresh mint and spring onions. Baked in the oven (or air fryer), these vegetarian patties are ready in 30 minutes. Top them with some homemade Greek Yogurt Sauce and you are in good company.
If you want to change up your regular spinach meals, well you’ve found the right recipe. Adding oats to these super easy spinach patties, makes them even more filling and delicious. Especially appealing during hot summer days where the last thing I want to do is spend endless hours in a hot kitchen.
SPINACH OAT PATTIES – Ingredients & substitutions:
- Spinach leaves – baby spinach leaves or mix of kale and spinach leaves works too. If you have frozen spinach that goes, but keep in mind that you may need to thaw it first. Alternatively cook it frozen and then cut in smaller pieces. Then using frozen spinach there might be more water that needs to evaporate during cooking.
- Onion– any type of onion works well, personally I prefer white or red onion.
- Spring onions – spring onions give that extra kick.
- Garlic – needless to say, you may skip this one if not a fan.
- Mint leaves – fresh or dried, mint leaves add extra freshness to these patties, but you can skip that if not in your pantry.
- Feta cheese – crumbled Feta Cheese adds extra cheey-ness to the meal, however you can switch it up with any yellow cheese that bakes well (like mozzarella, cheddar, ect. ) or even curd and ricotta cheese.
- Egg – binds the ingredients better.
- Rolled oats, or quick oats – use quick oats when you want patties to be less crunchier – quick oats soak up the moisture much quicker than rolled oats. However, the recipe works equally good with both.
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil – preferably organic, cold pressed.
How to make spinach patties from scratch:
Wash spinach and cut in pieces. Chop onions. Then add to a cooking pan with lid, drizzle some oil and let sauté until almost all liquid has evaporated. Next, transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool slightly.
Next, add remaining ingredients and let sit for 5 minutes – oats will take some of the liquid. Shape patties, place onto backing paper. Bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) with fan until they start to get golden.
Watch how to make Spinach Oat Patties from scratch -VIDEO:
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Easy Blueberry Lemon Waffles Recipe
- German applesauce cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies (Apfelmus-Kekse)
- One pot chicken in parsley sauce (30 minutes)
- Easy Cheese Bread (Georgian Khachapuri) -VIDEO
- Mediterranean Chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime
Spinach Oat Patties with Cheese
- 300 g (10 US) cups spinach leaves , cleaned, cut
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, fresh chopped
- 200 g (1 cup) Feta cheese*, crumbled
- 1 egg, medium size
- 150 g (1,7 cups) rolled oats, or quick oats
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbps olive oil
- In a large cooking pan add chopped spinach leaves, onion, spring onion, fresh mint, minced garlic and olive oil. Sauté on low heat until water has almost evaporated.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl add oats, crumbled cheese, salt, pepper and cooked spinach greens. Mix well, then leave for 5 minutes (or longer in the fridge) so oats can soak in some of the flavors and juices.
- Next, with slightly wet hands start forming patties (approx. 8-12 patties, depending on size), equal in size.
- Then place onto baking paper and bake in preheated oven with fan (180C/360F) for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Serve with a favorite Yogurt dip ( hot or cold).
Recipe may contain affiliate links, please see full disclosure here.