Soft and fluffy swirl bread rings with pantry ingredients. These Turkish bakery-style rings are so easy to make and very aromatic. This is a basic recipe that can be enhanced with spices of choice, cheese and even something sweet. They are best enjoyed fresh from the oven.
It all began because of a leftover egg yolk that I didn’t want to just throw away. I didn’t have 3 of them to make my beloved leftover egg yolk lemon cookies. So, why not make a whole batch of bread rings, right? When I first made these bread rings it was a gloomy and dark day, perfect for baking something delicious for the kids.
The beauty of these rings is that they are so so soft. They can be paired with almost anything – sweet or savory. My kids enjoy them with some feta and cucumbers or Nana’s homemade cherry jam. You can easily find them at any authentic Turkish Bakery. They go in many variations – with extra butter, white cheese or yellow cheese. My recipe is the basic Turkish buns recipe that can be enhanced with whatever your imagination desires (well almost).
HOW TO MAKE SWIRL BREAD RINGS – step by step
In a small bowl add pinch of sugar, crumbled fresh (or dry) yeast. Cover with a few tbsp. of water and let rise. Then in a large bowl combine all remaining dough ingredients. Add the bubbly yeast. Knead a soft stretchy dough by hand (or with kitchen robot/bread machine). Divide into small balls and with your fingers shape a circle.
Then, roll that circle into a stick ( see below) and roll out to make it longer. Attach the ends and swirl around one other. Place onto baking sheet and let rise for a second time (around 20 minutes in warm room).
Then brush each ring with egg yolk & olive oil mix and bake in preheated oven on 180C/360F until golden brown. Consume while still warm with a favorite soft/ savory filling.
WATCH VIDEO ON YOUTUBE
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
- Quick Parmesan Butter Oyster Mushrooms (baked)
- Leftover chicken tagliatelle (20 minutes)
- French Frozen (Whole) Chicken in Instant Pot
- Tuscan Red Cabbage Soup with Beans
- Italian Borlotti Beans Soup (Cranberry Beans soup)
Softest swirl bread rings
- 1,5 cups 300 ml Milk (lukewarm)
- 1/2 cup 100 ml vegetable oil (like sunflower oil)
- 2,5 cups 580 g flour (type 00 or all purpose unbleached flour)
- 1 egg medium size
- 20 g fresh yeast (or 7 g dry yeast)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2-4 tbsp water to cover yeast
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing buns
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for brushing buns
- In a small bowl combine yeast, water and sugar. Cover and let yeast activate.
- Next, combine all ingredients for the dough (flour, egg, milk, vegetable oil) and bubbly yeast. Knead a soft, strech-y dough with hands, kitchen robot or bread machine. Cover the dough with a cloth and let double in size.
- Flour your working surface and divide the dough into small ball. Take each ball and with your fingers make a circle shape. Then, roll it up to make a thin dough stick. Wrap the two ends around each other while leaving some space in between.
- Place each swirl ring onto baking paper and cover with cloth. Le the dough rise for the second time (around 15-20 min in a warm room).
- In another small bowl combine eg yolk and olive oil. Stir to mix well. Brush each bread ring with the mixture. Then bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) for about 20 minutes (until rings are golden). Let cool and enjoy.