Lovely quick rice meal prepared with brown rice, leeks, tomatoes and green olives on the stove top (no oven required). This 30 minute dinner rice is vegetarian and naturally gluten free. It is also kid friendly ( if your kids like tomatoes that is). This Mediterranean style rice is very similar to the traditional Spanish rice and Greek rice.
This particular meal has many variations. It’s called Ojur Bojur (meaning you put everything and voila dinner makes itself). Some add peppers, others do not. Some add celery, others prefer parsley. This brown brown rice recipe is vegetarian (& naturally gluten free), but it can be paired with meat of choice if desired.
As I grew up with meals that always had tomatoes in them, I find the combination of tomatoes and olives particularly appealing. When you add browned leeks and some spices, yum! You may also find that this recipe is very similar to the Spanish rice recipes (or Greek Rice), simply because many countries in that region (Mediterranean sea) share similar cuisines.
Vegetarian Brown rice with veggies – Ingredients
- Brown rice – -choose brown rice that cooks relatively quickly. Alternatively, soak brown rice overnight to soften the shell.
- Leeks – brings special taste to the meal
- Olives – i like to use combination of green and kalamata olives
- Tomatoes – I use canned crushed organic tomatoes, but you can use fresh if desired
- Parsley – the more, the better
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Olive oil – for cooking, preferably
Vegetarian Brown rice – Watch Video
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Homemade sausage patties (basic recipe)
- Oven Roasted Eggplant Wedges (with olives and tomatoes)
- Easy Braised Beef Recipe (VIDEO)
- Baked Lemon Mustard Steelhead Trout (VIDEO)
- Simple Brown Rice with leeks, tomatoes and olives
Simple brown rice with leeks, olives and tomatoes
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 leeks
- 1 can tomatoes, crushed, 400g
- 150 g olives mix, green and kalamata, pitted
- 3 tbsp. parsley, minced
- salt and pepper to taste, or 1 bouillon cube
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In a large (non-stick) cooking pot add olive oil and rice. Let rice change color for about 5 minutes (under a lid). Then add leeks, salt pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes (or until leeks are soft). Add some water (tbsp. by tbsp.) to prevent the mix from burning/sticking to pan.
- Next, add olives and tomatoes. Stir well and add water. Bring to a boil and let simmer until cooked (under a lid). Stir frequently. Cook until almost all water has evaporated. Sprinkle with some parsley and serve warm.