Delicious whole gazed duck, enhanced by the taste of fresh oranges, raisins and apple filling. Roasting a whole duck in the oven is much easier than most people think. The duck meat becomes incredibly juicy and soft on the inside. The skin is crisp and delicious on the outside. Yum!
The easiest way to prepare a whole roasted duck in the oven is to fill it with some fruits (sweet) and let it cook slowly in its own fat. That way the meat becomes tender, juicy and sweet at the end. Personally, I like to pair a duck meal with a light green salad or potato puree (mashed potatoes) on the side.
WHOLE GLAZED DUCK – INGREDIENTS
Whole duck, at least 1,5 kg (the larger the tender the meat would be).
Oranges – one for filling and one for the juice.
Apple, medium to large – one apple for the filling.
1/2 cup raisins – for the filling
You see, not much is needed to make an excellent meal.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER DUCK meat
There are a lot of things to do, but here are some ideas:
Make a vegetable soup – prepare all ingredients, sauté them and then add the cooked leftover duck towards the end.
Make meatballs – chop any leftover duck meat (finely), then add it to your regular meatballs. I’ve got a recipe that uses goose meat for meatballs that has the same process, check it out here.
Add to a salad – chop leftover duck meat and add it to a salad with pasta, olive oil, cherry tomatoes and herbs of choice.
HOW TO PREPARE WHOLE GLAZED DUCK -WATCH VIDEO
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Easy Blueberry Lemon Waffles Recipe
- German applesauce cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies (Apfelmus-Kekse)
- One pot chicken in parsley sauce (30 minutes)
- Easy Cheese Bread (Georgian Khachapuri) -VIDEO
- Mediterranean Chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime
Glazed Duck with raisings, apple and oranges
- 2 oranges, medium
- 1 apple, medium
- 70 g raisins (a handful)
- 1 duck, whole (approx. 1,5-2 kg)
- Peel the apple and one orange, then cut into small chunks. In a bowl add minced fruits and raisins and mix well.
- Wash duck under cold water. Place in baking dish and stuff with the apple-orange-raisins mix. Squeeze the other orange's juice over the duck. With a sharp knife cut the duck skin (only), making diamond shape on the chest.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) for about an hour. Take the baking dish out of the oven and remove the foil. With a spoon pour some of the fat that has been released over the duck's skin. Then, cover with the foil again and let cook in the oven for additional 20 -30 minutes.
- Then, take baking dish out of the oven and remove foil. Pour the released fat over the duck again. Return in the oven (no foil) for additional 15-20 minutes. Preferably turn on the ventilation. be careful not to burn the duck. Enjoy.