Homemade mini apple strudels (called Mini Apfelstrudel in German) with homemade sweet dough, hearty apple filling and a catchy look.
Today we are making apple strudels – mini German style strudels with homemade dough, delicious apple filling and a lovely catchy look. Do not however be intimidated by it, it’s pretty easy and I’ll walk you through all the steps below. What I like about these mini strudels is that they are easy to grab and eat by a small child. Since I have two hungry boys at home that comes in handy every time.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Flour – I use all purpose flour or type 00 Italian flour
- Milk – room temperature milk is preferred. If you use full fat milk (more than 3,5%) you may need to reduce the amount of flour slightly
- Egg – one egg, medium sized
- Butter – a dip of melted butter for taste
- Pinch of sugar – to make it sweet
- Yeast – I prefer to use fresh yeast, but if you do not have that use instant dry yeast instead.
- Cinnamon – just a pinch to enhance the flavor
- Shredded apples – any type works well, especially on the sweeter side.
- Walnuts, finely chopped – you can substitute with almonds or hazelnuts if you wish
- Brown sugar – to add sweetness
- Cinnamon – for perfect taste
How to make Mini Apple Strudel
Prepare the dough by mixing all ingredients with activated yeast (when using fresh yeast). Knead soft, non-stick dough and let rise. Divide in 4 equal parts.
Next, roll out each part in a circular shape (1-2cm) thick. Cut in 4 triangles, using pizza cutter (works best in my experience).
Then, make 4 lines – 2 on both sides lengthwise within each piece. Make sure not to cut all the way though the dough. Repeat for remaining dough.
Make the filling and with a spoon add filling to the middle of each triangle.
Fold each end of the triangle base inwards. Brush with olive oil and bake according to instructions.
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Kale and Rice Noodles (Instant pot friendly)
- Egg Noodles (Spätzle) with cheesy shiitake mushrooms and broccoli sauce
- Cellentani pasta with ground turkey and tomato sauce
- Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Beef Liver Steak Recipe (for Iron Deficiency)
Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 200 ml fresh milk, no more than 3,5% fat
- 30 g melted butter
- 1 egg, medium sized
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 20g fresh yeast, or 1/2 pack instant yeast
- 2 cups grated apples, peeled
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 100 g chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- In a small bowl mix fresh (dried) yeast, pinch of brown sugar and 2-4 tbsp. of the milk. Cover and yeast get activated. In the meantime, in a large bowl add all other dough ingredients, plus activated yeast when ready. Knead by hand (or with stand mixer) until a soft, non-stick dough is formed. Cover with a cloth and let dough rise in a warm room (approx. 20 min/25 C).
- Next, divide the dough in 4 equal parts. Roll out each part in a circular shape (1-2 cm) thick. Cut each circle in four to make four triangles of it – using pizza cutter works best in my experience. Then, using (pizza cutter again) make 4 lines – 2 on both sides lengthwise within each triangle. Make sure not to cut all the way though the dough. Repeat for remaining dough.
- In a large bowl grate peeled apples, then mix with brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts. With a spoon add equal parts of filling to the middle of each strudel triangle. Then, grab both ends of each triangle and fold one over the other. Repeat for remaining dough.
- Brush with olive oil and bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) until golden brown (approx. 15-20 min in my oven). Let cool and dust with powdered white sugar. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.