Mediterranean style chickpea (garbanzo beans) salad with arugula, tomatoes, nuts and lime dressing. Prepared in just about 15 minutes, this easy Greek salad is best enjoyed cold-ish.
Mediterranean salads are my favorite meal especially during these (extra) hot summer days. When nothing else seems appetizing (due to heat wave that usually hits Europe this time of year), a quick cold-ish salad is excellent choice for dinner in my household. Excluding the little ones, they are not big fans of salads (yet).
If you are a fan of quick & delicious salads, definitely check out my 10 minute arugula & cannellini beans salad – it’s as good! Or my go to simple Shirazi Salad, yum!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chickpeas – I prefer to use organic canned chickpeas as they taste as home boiled chickpeas, but take little to no time to make.
- Tomatoes – I for this recipe I use sweet Marmande tomatoes that have little seeds and are extra delicious. However, you may use cherry or pink tomatoes as subs.
- Arugula – chopped arugula is a must, gives that bitter taste. Can be substituted with lettuce though.
- Chopped walnuts – finely chopped walnuts give the salad that extra crunch we like. Can be substituted with hazelnuts.
- Chopped almonds – the combination of nuts gives extra depth to the meal. However you may choose to skip that ingredient.
- Lime juice – freshly squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice) gives some zest and freshness
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil is a must in Mediterranean cooking
- Salt – always to taste
What to serve with chickpea salad?
You can enjoy chickpea salad as standalone dish or pair it with another main meal. If you decide to pair it, here are a few suggestions from my personal recipe library:
How long does chickpea salad last (in the fridge)
This chickpea salad recipe is not one that can last a long time, especially outside the fridge. Personally I like to consume it right after assembling it. Or within 12-24 hours of making when preserved in air tight container in the fridge.
Are garbanzo beans chickpeas (garbanzo beans vs chickpeas)
Garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chickpeas (called garbanzos in Spanish) are a staple in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. The Spanish name ‘ Garbanzo beans‘ comes from modern Spanish language, whereas chickpeas (or chick peas) originates from the French ‘le pois chiche‘. Both are used to describe this very delicious and versatile brown-ish legume that many use in the kitchen around the globe.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
- Easy Blueberry Lemon Waffles Recipe
- German applesauce cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies (Apfelmus-Kekse)
- One pot chicken in parsley sauce (30 minutes)
- Easy Cheese Bread (Georgian Khachapuri) -VIDEO
- Mediterranean Chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime
Mediterranean chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime dressing
- 1 can (200 g/7 oz) chickpeas, aquafaba removed, organic
- 2 tomatoes (sweet Marmande) , medium size
- 100 g (1 cup) arugula, chopped
- 30 g (1/4 cup) chopped almonds
- 30 g (1/4 cup) finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 lime (juice only) or more to taste
- 5 tbsp. olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- Wash arugula and cut in small pieces. Chop tomato, almonds and walnuts. Add to salad bowl. Then remove water from chickpeas and add to bowl.
- Next add all remaining ingredients and squeeze the lime juice on top. Stir well to combine. If desired, place in the fridge for 5 minutes to cool. Salad is best enjoyed immediately after preparation.