Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe, prepared with fresh tomatoes, aromatic Mediterranean herbs and extra veggies. This roasted tomato soup is light, creamy and absolutely delicious.
Have you tried tomato soup? I feel like there are two camps when it comes to tomato soup – one love it, other simply cannot get used to it’s specific taste. Growing up, I didn’t enjoy tomato soup, even though my granny used extra delicious ripe tomatoes from her own garden. However, when I grew up, somehow my senses rediscovered tomato soup and my love for roasted tomato soup grew. I’ve experimented with recipes quite a bit, but thus far this roasted tomato recipe is the best I’ve ever had (try my Feta Cheese Croutons recipe!)
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Fresh Ripe Tomatoes: the main ingredient in tomato soup, you guessed right, is fresh tomatoes. I prefer using Roma tomatoes or Pink tomatoes whenever available.
- Red onion – red onions carry a natural sweetness that when added to tomato soup takes away from it’s sourness.
- Zucchini – adding roasted zucchinis to tomato soup creates further creaminess and richness. Thus, heavy creams and butter can be avoided.
- Olive oil – preferably, extra virgin olive oil.
- Thyme – fresh thyme branch or dried thyme can be used in this recipe
- Basil leaves – fresh basil leaves, or dried basil is equally good for the recipe.
- Parsley – fresh parsley leaves, finely minced create a complete seasoning experience.
- Salt and pepper – as always to taste.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
- Cut tomatoes in rough chunks, then dice red onions and zucchini.
- In a large mixing bowl combine olive oil, diced tomatoes, zucchini and onion. Mix until well coated.
- Place onto baking tray and roast in the oven (air fryer) on ventilation until almost cooked (around 20 min in my oven). Stir once or twice to get veggies fully roasted on each side.
- Then transfer to a soup pan, add water (broth), thyme, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Blend well in a high speed blender to get the creamiest tomato soup.
- Serve with croutons (try our Feta Cheese Croutons Recipe – it’s really good).
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES:
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Kale and Rice Noodles (Instant pot friendly)
- Egg Noodles (Spätzle) with cheesy shiitake mushrooms and broccoli sauce
- Cellentani pasta with ground turkey and tomato sauce
- Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Beef Liver Steak Recipe (for Iron Deficiency)
Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
- 4-6 ripe tomatoes, fresh
- 2 onions, red
- 2 zucchini, medium
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp thyme, dried/fresh
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, dried/fresh
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups water (or broth), or more/less as needed
- Wash all veggies under cold water. Then chop zucchini, fresh tomatoes and red onion into rough chunks.
- In a large mixing bow add olive oil and chopped veggies and mix well until combined.
- Then, place onto (non-stick) baking sheet/pan and bake (180C/360F) in the oven until almost fully cooked. Preferably on ventilation to get veggies better roasted on each side. You can use an air fryer too.
- Once ingredients have been well roasted, place them in a soup pan, add water (broth), thyme, basil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then leave to simmer for about 10 minutes until fully cooked. Then leave soup to cool and blend well in high speed blender until no lumps are visible.
- Serve warm or cold as preferred, topped with Feta Cheese Croutons (see recipe here).
- Water can be changed with chicken broth (stock) for deeper flavor.
- Quantity of liquid should be adjusted to one’s personal creaminess preferences.
- Sour cream / butter (1-2 tbsp) can be added for richness and additional creaminess.