Easy, homemade roasted beet arugula salad with aromatic dressing, made of lemon, nuts and Dijon mustard). Rich and tasty (winter) salad that everyone will love. Beets can be roasted in oven or air fryer.
Lovely, rich and satisfying (winter) beet and arugula salad recipe that is also easy to make. Beets can be roasted in air fryer (as I usually do) or in the oven on ventilation (preferably).
Lately, this hearty arugula salad has been a family favorite. Especially in winter, when arugula is easy to find in stores in Europe, we make it almost every week. It’s colorful, crispy and refreshing. It can be enjoyed as addition to soups or fish or simply as a meal in itself. I’m sure you will love it too.
BEET ARUGULA SALAD – INGREDIENTS
this colorful roasted beets arugula salad requires only 8 fresh ingredients.
- Fresh Arugula leaves – fresh leaves that are preferably on the smaller scale (they usually taste less bitter in my experience).
- Fresh Beetroot – peeled, cut into cubes, then roasted – these beets are the heart of the salad.
- Fresh carrots – adding carrots (or even parsnip) to roasted veggies brings extra flavor to this lovely (winter) salad.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil is used both for roasting veggies and dressing
- Salt – salt is added to roasted beets & carrots and to dressing if desired.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice brings extra sparkle to the dressing
- Dijon mustard – used for dressing
- Walnuts, raw- used for dressing. You can substitute with hazelnuts or almonds. Can be roasted in advance too.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED BEETS ARUGULA SALAD
PREPARE THE ROASTED BEETS
- Wash, peel and cut into cubes both beets and carrots. Carrots can be cut in circles as well.
- Coat well with olive oil and salt.
- Then, place in air fryer basket and roast on 360F/180C for about 15-20 minutes. Shake basket in between to prevent burns on beets.
- Beets can be roasted in the oven too (on ventilation). Simply place on non-stick baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until cooked. Stir frequently to prevent beets from burning.
Roasted veggies can be prepared in advance (even the day before).
PREPARE THE DRESSING
Place walnuts, fresh lemon juice, olive oil and Dijon Mustard in food processor / blender and beat until smooth. Alternatively, leave dressing crunchier by reducing speed and blending time.
Salad Dressing can be prepared in advance, but note that is usually thickens when not used right away.
In a large salad bowl place washed arugula leaves, roasted beets and salad dressing. Mix well until combined and enjoy!
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES
- Candied Honey Carrots (in Air Fryer)
- Breakfast Ricotta Cheese Biscuits
- Roasted Zucchini Couscous Salad with Feta
- Simple Shirazi Salad Recipe (Persian Salad-e Shirazi)
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets (Homemade)
Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad Recipe
- 7 ounces / 200 g fresh arugula, cleaned
Roasted beets and carrots
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil , extra virgin
- 10 walnuts , raw
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- juice of 1/2 lemon, fresh
Roasted Root Veggies
- Rinse carrots and beet under cold water. Peel skin off and cut into small cubes. Then coat cubes with olive oil and salt (in a mixing bowl).
- Place in air fryer basket for 15-20 minutes (360F/180C), or until cooked. Stir once or twice during cooking to prevent beets from burning. Alternatively, bake in the oven on non stick baking sheet (preferably on ventilation). Again, stir once or twice. Oven baked beets tend to take longer to cook.
- In a food processor, add lemon juice, olive oil, walnuts and Dijon Mustard. Pulse until smooth or leave crunchier (if desired) by reducing speed and processing time.
- In a salad bowl add washed arugula leaves, dressing and roasted beets. Mix until well combined and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.