Hearty Greek-style green lamb chops soup recipe, infused by aromatic herbs and spices. This lamb chops soup is a rich and delicious meal in itself, that can be served as dinner/lunch. Prefect on a cold winter day. Kid-approved and easy to make as well.
If you like green soups and lamb chops, this Greek-style lamb chops soup is definitely for you.
A long time family recipe that we usually prepare around Easter and/ or St. George celebrations (read April – May). As it is somewhat rich in natural fats, we also tend to make it in winter. It’s one of those family recipes with extra bold flavors that we cannot stop craving. In fact, we always empty our bowls way too quickly and usually ask for more ( incl. our 3 year old).
HOW TO MAKE LAMB CHOPS SOUP
1. The secret to this soup lies in the lamb meat – spices combination. So, the base for the flavor of this soup are: Spring onions, Oregano, MinT & Parsley.
2. Additional flavorful ingredient are the dock/sorrel leaves. These are however entirely optional – I usually leave them out or substitute with baby spinach if they are out of season.
3. Lamb chops – the soup can be made with any part of the lamb (as long as it has meat on it). In fact, were we live stores sell lamb meat in large portions. So, we buy a huge pack and divide & freeze the different parts for soups and meals. Tip: always add date on freezer packs. Helps with remembering and prioritizing one portion over another while meal planning.
4. If adding butter comes too heavy on you, feel free to substitute with vegetable oil (like canola or sunflower oil). If you wish to consume lamb meat, but it feels pretty greasy, do not use the broth where lamb was cooked. Instead, substitute with plain water or chicken broth.
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES:
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Kale and Rice Noodles (Instant pot friendly)
- Egg Noodles (Spätzle) with cheesy shiitake mushrooms and broccoli sauce
- Cellentani pasta with ground turkey and tomato sauce
- Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Beef Liver Steak Recipe (for Iron Deficiency)
Green Lamb Chops Soup
- 2 Lamb chops
- 1/3 cup white rice
- 3 cups dock/sorrel leaves (or baby spinach), cleaned (optional)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cups fresh spring onions, minced
- 2-3 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp mint, dried or fresh
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 4-6 cups water, or more as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place lamb chops in cold water, bring to a boil and let simmer ( without adding salt) until meat is fully cooked. Remove lamb chops from bouillon, take out the bones and cut the remaining meat in small pieces. Then return the chopped meat in the lamb bouillon and set aside.
- In a separate pan, add butter, rice, spring onions, cleaned dock leaves /or spinach/ and sweet paprika. Let simmer on low heat until onions are almost cooked. Add water ( tbsp by tbsp) to prevent from burning as needed.
- Then, add parsley, dried oregano, mint and salt (we add black pepper once fully cooked and served). Stir well and add the mix to the bouillon – lamb meat pan. Add more water if needed to reach desired thickness of soup. Let soup cook for about 10-15 min, or until all is fully cooked.
- Remove from stove and serve hot.
Our family prefers adding sorrel (dock) leaves to the soup as it adds some extra flavor, but if you wish you can easily substitute with baby spinach or leave out altogether. I recommend however, that you use fresh spring onions ( in spite of other types of onion) as they play a crucial part to taste. Together with oregano and mint they create the distinct flavor of this soup.
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.