Fabulous, no fuss French chocolate peach cake recipe (Gâteau aux pêches et chocolat) that is the perfect quick summer dessert. It pairs perfectly well with a scoop of ice cream on a hot day.
Today we are making the perfect no fuss cake that has everything I expect to see in a summer dessert – fluff, crunch and taste. The unique combination of peaches, nuts (optional) and cacao makes this French dessert a favorite in our home. If you like casual French cuisine be sure to check my famous French Stuffed round Zucchini Recipe. It’s really good. Or if you are looking for something quick sweet and delicious, my Italian Hazelnut cookies are a must.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Flour – type 00 (very finely milled), or all purpose – please keep in mind that if you use other types of flour you may need to increase butter by a few tbsp.
- Baking powder – gives the cake it’s fluff
- Butter, melted – we all know butter likes cakes, however you can use olive oil (or other vegetable oils) to change it – use 90ml of olive oil in this case
- Brown sugar – I prefer brown unrefined sugar, however white sugar works too
- Egg, medium – got to have an egg in there
- Walnuts, chopped – if you do not have walnuts on hand feel free to substitute with hazelnuts or almonds
- Cacao powder, preferably organic
- Fresh peaches, medium size – two or three will make the difference in taste
Step by step Instructions
Wash peaches and remove stones. Cut one peach in small pieces. Then roughly chop the walnuts and set aside. The rest peach(es) should be cut in long flower-shaped form for decor. Next, beat eggs and sugar until they double in size. Add melted butter by beating on low speed.
Then, add flour (as per above photo), baking powder, cacao powder, chopped peaches and walnuts. Stir to combine well. Place into baking tray (I used 10 3/4 springform pan from IKEA, similar to this one on Amazon).
Next, bake in preheated oven until a toothpick comes out clean (180C/360F) with a fan. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream on top.
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES:
- Easy Blueberry Lemon Waffles Recipe
- German applesauce cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies (Apfelmus-Kekse)
- One pot chicken in parsley sauce (30 minutes)
- Easy Cheese Bread (Georgian Khachapuri) -VIDEO
- Mediterranean Chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime
French Peach Chocolate Cake Recipe (Gâteau aux pêches et chocolat)
- 220 g flour, type 00, or all purpose *
- 10 g baking powder
- 100 g butter, melted
- 150 g brown sugar
- 3 eggs, medium sized
- 30 g walnuts/hazelnuts, chopped
- 30 g cacao powder, preferably organic
- 2-3 peaches, medium size
- Wash peaches and remove stones by cutting in 4 large pieces. Then cut one peach in small cubes. The rest should be cut lengthwise on long thin pieces (see pictures) for decoration.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl add eggs and sugar and beat until soft and fluffy. Eggs should double in size. Slowly add melted butter (olive oil) and beat on lowest setting with hand mixer.
- Next, add flour, baking powder, cacao powder, chopped walnuts and peaches. Mix on low speed with the hand mixer. The batter should be sticky and extra thick.
- Brush springform pan (mine is IKEA 10 3/4 pan) with some oil, then pour the batter in. Level with spatula and arrange the remaining peaches in the middle, by allowing them to step slightly on over the other.
- Bake in preheated oven with fan (180C/360F) for bout 25/30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly and serve with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Recipe may contain affiliate links. Please see full disclosure here.