Rich Greek-style Zucchini Roll, packed with Feta & Ricotta Cheese and Greek Yogurt. Topped with nuts and lemon, this Cheese Zucchini Roll is a perfect appetizer recipe (Holiday or No holiday).
Are you on the search for a slightly different type of Appetizer recipes? I know I usually am. So, today we are making this lovely Feta & Ricotta Cheese Zucchini Roll. It’s scrumptious, especially if you are a fan of Feta and Ricotta Cheese, oh and zucchini.
The best part is, it may look sophisticated to make, but it’s actually pretty easy. If you have some extra zucchini on hand, try it, you might as well love it.
FETA RICOTTA ZUCCHINI ROLL – Ingredients
ZUCCHINI ROLL (baked)
- Zucchini – the main ingredient in the roll are zucchini. I usually use light green zucchini as they are easier to find in Eastern Europe, but the dark variety works perfectly as well.
- Greek yogurt – use only plain Greek Yogurt that has no added flavors.
- Eggs – the binding ingredient during baking.
- Ricotta Cheese – used both in zucchini roll and filling.
- Flour – helps zucchini stay in place during rolling. Gluten-free version can be used if needed.
- Garlic – fresh garlic adds zest to the roll, but you can substitute garlic powder or leave out.
- Dill – use fresh (finely minced) or dried dill.
- Baking soda – the rising agent here is baking soda.
- Salt – Ricotta cheese is naturally sweet, therefore a bit of salt is needed for that savory appetizer roll.
FILLING (no baking needed)
- Ricotta Cheese – used in filling to render a milder taste when mixed with Feta Cheese.
- Feta Cheese – creates depth in flavor and lovely texture.
- Walnuts – adds crunchiness to the filling. Can be substituted with pecans, almonds or hazelnuts. I like to use raw nuts to preserve their nutrients as much as possible, but roasted nut can be used too.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil creates deeper smoothness and helps cheese blend nicely together.
- Salt – salt here is optional, as Feta Cheese is naturally salty.
- Dill – again, fresh or dried dill can be used
- Garlic – totally optional. Personally, I’d like to add garlic to the roll, not the filling.
HOW TO MAKE FETA RICOTTA ZUCCHINI ROLL
Grate washed zucchini (with removed stems and top), add salt to help extract zucchini’s water. Leave to sit for 10 minutes. Then strain zucchini water well. Add Roll ingredients to the bowl with strained grated zucchini and mix well.
Place onto baking sheet with parchment paper – paper is needed later when you roll out the zucchini roll. Bake in preheated oven (360F/180C) until brownish on top. Let cool completely – otherwise zucchini layer will likely break and filling will start melting. Zucchini roll layer can be prepared in advance, but bear in mind – the longer it sits unrolled after cooling the higher chances of breaking during assembling.
Meanwhile prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl add all filling ingredients – taste test and add more / less of a certain ingredient to modify taste. Set aside.
Once zucchini layer has cooled down completely, spread filling evenly on top. Then using both hands take one side of the zucchini layer (use the parchment paper) and roll from one side to the other. Leave roll in the fridge to cool down for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Top with some lemon slices if desired. Enjoy!
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES
- Homemade sausage patties (basic recipe)
- Oven Roasted Eggplant Wedges (with olives and tomatoes)
- Easy Braised Beef Recipe (VIDEO)
- Baked Lemon Mustard Steelhead Trout (VIDEO)
- Simple Brown Rice with leeks, tomatoes and olives
Feta Ricotta Zucchini Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs, medium size
- 1 cup Greek yogurt , around 3,5 fat
- 3 /700g/ zucchinis, medium
- 1 cup /200g/ ricotta cheese
- 5 tbsp whole wheat flour, GF if needed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup /100g/ ricotta cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- Wash zucchini and remove stems and top. Grate zucchinis, using a grater. Then place grated zucchini into mixing bowl and add salt. Let sit for approx. 10 min or until water comes out of zucchinis.
- Then using a fork/ cloth or your hands strain the water and set grated zucchini aside. Zucchini water should be removed completely, otherwise roll may get soggy.
- Subsequently, add eggs, ricotta, Greek yogurt, flour, baking soda, garlic and dill (zucchini roll ingredients) to grated zucchini and mix well.
- Place mixture onto baking sheet (non-stick or add parchment paper) and bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) until cooked (slightly brownish on the surface). Let cool completely before adding the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients – Feta Cheese, Ricotta Cheese, chopped walnuts, olive oil, dill (and garlic) and mix until well combined. Taste test and add more of a certain ingredient if desired. Set aside.
Assemble the roll
- When zucchini roll is baked and completely cooled, spread the filling all over the roll. Then using the parchment paper start (gently otherwise it may break) rolling from one side to the other until the other end is reached. Roll should be placed onto one end to prevent unrolling.
- Place the roll in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool. Then slice up and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.