Greek – style zucchini fritters with Feta Cheese. These healthy (no deep frying) and simple zucchini fritters are perfect as side meal or light dinner. Greek-style topping recipe included.
Easy and healthy (no deep frying) feta cheese zucchini fritters, these flat bites resemble the perfect light (summer) dinner. They are pretty simple to make – require just a handful of ingredients. These Feta Zucchini fritters can be enjoyed by the whole family (kids included).
FETA CHEESE ZUCCHINI FRITTERS – Ingredients
- Zucchini, fresh & grated – all types of zucchini can be used for this recipe (green or yellow). It’s highly desirable that you drain any excess moisture well before mixing with other ingredients.
- Flour – the flour is the biding ingredient together with eggs. I prefer using whole wheat flour, but any type of regular unbleached flour can be used as well.
- Feta Cheese – crumbled Feta or White (Cow’s milk) cheese can be used.
- Eggs – eggs hold the fritters together during cooking.
- Dill, fresh – recommend using fresh dill, rather than dried as it enhances the flavour of final fritters.
- Garlic – fresh garlic or garlic powder are equally suitable. Omit of feeding to small kids (optional)
- Olive oil – olive oil is used for greasing the pan (even for non-stick surface) during cooking. That way fritters get crisp on the outside without deep frying.
- Baking soda – the rising agent is baking soda. Be sure to use the right amount, otherwise it’s favour will be too strong.
- Salt – salt is used to suck out the moisture in grated zucchini. If you wish add salt to the fritters as well, although Feta Cheese is pretty salty too.
FETA CHEESE ZUCCHINI FRITTERS – tips and ideas
What makes these fritters especially Greek-y is the combination of feta, dill and Greek yogurt (for serving). However, if you fall short on feta cheese these days, substitute with any type of yellow (ish) cheese like parmesan or cheddar. The idea behind it is that you want to add a ‘’melting but sticky type’’ of cheese that will help bind all ingredients together more firmly.
=>> One way to multiply the Greek experience is to prepare one simple Greek Yogurt sauce and spread it over your fritters as if topping pancakes with honey. Mmm, yum!
For the Greek Yogurt Sauce you’ll need:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt ( drained)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill + pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
It almost feels like you are sitting in a breezy Greek restaurant on Halkidiki, glazing at the blue crystal clear waters of the sea while being served traditional Greek cuisine.
=>> Another, more simple way is to just top the fritters with plain Greek yogurt (cold from the fridge) or feta cheese for that matter. It works perfectly if you are short on time or simply lazy (did I just say that?) on a busy weekday.
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Kale and Rice Noodles (Instant pot friendly)
- Egg Noodles (Spätzle) with cheesy shiitake mushrooms and broccoli sauce
- Cellentani pasta with ground turkey and tomato sauce
- Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Beef Liver Steak Recipe (for Iron Deficiency)
Feta Cheese Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- 1, ½ pounds zucchinis, grated
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs, small, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for greasing the pan
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Whole Greek Yogurt, for topping
- Wash zucchini under cold water and grade. Place zucchinis and pinch of salt in a bowl and leave for around 10 min. Then press (with hand, fork or cheese cloth ) zucchini shreds down to drain excess moisture.
- Transfer well drained, grated zucchinis to large mixing bowl and add eggs, whole wheat flour, feta cheese, dill, baking soda and garlic and stir until well combined. The mix should seem sticky, but modifiable.
- Grease non-stick pan with olive oil and place small portion of the batter into preheated large skillet (using ladle or spoon). Gently distribute batter evenly to form flat circle. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Top with suggested topping and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.