Perfectly soft and fully, these Feta Cheese Mashed Potato pancakes are a dream. They are ideal for lunch boxes, as appetizers, addition to salads and soups.
Growing up these potato pancakes were one of my favorite foods to eat. They were on the table when I was trying to convince my mom I can actually cook dinner (age 12). They were on the bed when my sister-in-law would visit us in our first tiny Rental Apartment (the table was actually used for computers and my law school books). And they are in my virtual kitchen today when I invite you to try them in hopes they become your favorites as well.
FLUFFY FETA CHEESE MASHED POTATOES – INGREDIENTS
- Potatoes – I recommend using Gold Potatoes if possible. If not, russet or French potatoes will do.
- Feta Cheese – a lovely cheesy option for Feta Cheese lovers.
- Eggs – eggs are necessary for both the pancake mix and cooking.
- Oregano – dried oregano adds a lovely flavorful note to potato pancakes in my opinion.
- Parsley – raw, finely minced parsley for pancake mix.
- Bread crumbs – for rolling pancakes on each side before cooking.
- Vegetable oil – for greasing the pan, unnecessary if you bake these potato pancakes in an air-fryer.
As you can see, these potato pancakes do not require flour (use Gluten-free breadcrumbs for GF Version).
HOW TO MAKE FETA CHEESE POTATO PANCAKES – TIPS
- To get the fluffiest potato pancakes possible, always use potato press (here is the one I use). It creates a perfect fluffy texture that no other tool can give. However, if you do not have such kitchen gadget, mashing the potatoes as usual will do as well. If you make these pancakes repurposed mashed potatoes, be sure to check my Mashed Potato (no milk required) Recipe – it’s a keeper. There you can see how mashed potatoes can become fluffier by simply using a hand/stand mixer to beat them.
- When combining ingredients, mix gently to preserve the potato fluff you created with the potato masher.
- When forming potato pancakes slightly wet your hands to prevent pancake mix from sticking onto your fingers. Then roll into breadcrumbs and beaten eggs.
- Not a fan of deep frying – me too! I prepare these feta potato pancakes by slightly greasing my pancake pan with vegetable oil (to prevent pancakes from falling apart during cooking). Simply, grease bottom before placing pancakes in. Flip with a spatula and cook on both sides until brownish crust appears.
- Want to make potato pancakes in air -fryer? Fear not, this recipe turns equally delicious when made with an air-fryer. Skip the breadcrumbs and beaten eggs step. Simply make small balls from potato pancake mix and place into air fryer basket. Alternatively you can brush potato pancakes with some olive oil (use pastry brush) to create a crisper pancake crust during air-frying.
- Use gluten-free breadcrumbs for making these Feta Potato Pancakes entirely free from gluten.
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES
- Candied Honey Carrots (in Air Fryer)
- Breakfast Ricotta Cheese Biscuits
- Roasted Zucchini Couscous Salad with Feta
- Simple Shirazi Salad Recipe (Persian Salad-e Shirazi)
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets (Homemade)
Feta Cheese Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe
- 4 cups Potatoes, mashed with potato press
- 1,1/2 cups Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Eggs, medium, for pancakes mix
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- 1 cup Bread crumbs, or less, for rolling pancakes in
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil , for greasing the pancake pan
- 1-2 beaten eggs , for rolling pancakes in
- Water, for cooking potatoes in
- Wash potatoes under cold water, then bring to a boil (in pan with lid) and let simmer until potatoes are cooked (check with fork).
- Place pressed potatoes in a large mixing bowl and add feta cheese, eggs, oregano and chopped parsley. Mix well until combined.
- Then, with your hands, form small pancakes (as thin as dough allows without them breaking) and roll them on both sides in bread crumbs. Then roll them again in beaten eggs and set aside.
- Grease non-stick pancake pan with some vegetable oil, then place potato pancakes in and cook on both sides. Repeat until all pancakes are cooked. Serve warm.
- Alternatively, cook Feta cheese potato pancakes in air-fryer. Form small potato balls (do not add egg and breadcrumbs) and place into air fryer basket. Then cook for about 10-15 minutes (adjust according to your air fryer instructions).
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.