Creamy and healthy roasted cauliflower soup recipe, enhanced by gentle rosemary flavor. No cheese cauliflower soup, that is keto friendly and can be made vegan with/or without heavy cream.
If you have been around here for a while you know that our family is a fan of roasted vegetable soups (see our dreamy perfect Mediterranean style Roasted Tomato soup here). If you haven’t tried roasting vegetables before blending them into a creamy soup, I am certain you are missing out. Roasting these vegetables gives depths and extra sweetness to the soup any home cook will love. Or certainly, I’ve never heard otherwise.
Today, we will talk about this rich and creamy cauliflower soup (called Crème du Barry in french) that is actually pretty easy to make.
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Fresh cauliflower – the main ingredient in this creamy soup is roasted cauliflower. It also helps the soup thicken better without needing much heavy cream/butter or coconut milk (for vegan version). In addition, If you are looking for ways to add flavor to cauliflower soup (we all know boiled cauliflower can be blunt), roasting this lovely vegetable is the way to go.
- Onion – sauteed onion adds more flavor to any meal, especially this soup.
- Garlic powder – garlic can be used raw (finely minced) or in the form of garlic powder.
- Sweet Paprika – add extra sweetness to the roasted cauliflower.
- Salt and pepper – as usual, add these to taste.
- Olive oil – for roasting the cauliflower and sauteing the onions afterwards.
- Sour Cream/Butter/Coconut milk – acts as soup thickener, however cauliflower soup is equally delicious without them.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP -tips
Roast cauliflower with herbs and olive oil. It might seem like a daunting task, but roasting cauliflower creates depth and creaminess that otherwise gets away. If you so wish, roast cauliflower in advance, then when preserve in air-tight container and cook later. That way you will have freshly cooked meal for dinner (for 15 minutes).
Choose herbs wisely. They create the rich flavor you want to create – for this recipe I like to use dried rosemary. It is perfectly aromatic, yet finely minces and thus created the extra rosemary feel we like.
Add sour cream (or substitute butter / coconut milk for Vegan Cauliflower soup) – adding sour cream (or some butter) multiplies richness of soup and creates extra depth. If you prefer to omit these ingredients, cauliflower soup can be thickened by adding one golden potato or a tbsp of flour while sauteing the onions.
Blend until completely smooth. It’s best to blend in stand blender rather than hand blender, otherwise soup might not get much creamier and lumps might be visible too.
Roast cauliflower on ventilation (in the oven or use air fryer) – circulating hot air contributes to cauliflower being completely roasted on each side. If you roast in the oven, place cauliflower onto preheated baking pan, covered with baking foil to get the down – facing side roasted as well.
If you are wondering, this healthy and creamy roasted cauliflower soup is KETO friendly too.
CAN YOU ROAST CAULIFLOWER IN AN AIR FRYER – how to
Air frying cauliflower is easy – simply cut cauliflower florets in two, then coat with the oil-seasoning mix and place in air fryer basket on 180C/350F for about 10-15 minutes. It’s recommended to place only one layer at a time and toss the basket every 5 minutes for optimum results.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CAULIFLOWER SOUP
One can serve pretty much everything with this soup, as it is creamy, rich and satisfying. Here are a few suggestions:
- Add croutons ( especially recommend our Feta Cheese Croutons Recipe).
- Enjoy alongside a good green salad (like our Roasted Beet Arugula Salad).
- Top with some Blue Cheese or other type of cheese by choice.
- Serve as entree to a main protein with a side meal.
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES
- Stuffed Eggplant with Pasta and Parmesan Cheese
- Candied Honey Carrots (in Air Fryer)
- Breakfast Ricotta Cheese Biscuits
- Roasted Zucchini Couscous Salad with Feta
- Simple Shirazi Salad Recipe (Persian Salad-e Shirazi)
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Rosemary Soup
- 1 medium head cauliflower, divided into florets
- 1 onion head, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped (fresh or dried)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 – 2 tbsp sour cream, or melted butter
- 4 cups water (or vegetable broth), or more as needed
- Wash cauliflower under cold water, then divide using a sharp knife into bite-size florets. Then, in a large mixing bowl add 3 tbsp olive oil ( 1 tbsp remains for sauteed onions), garlic powder, paprika and mix until cauliflower is well coated.
- Place cauliflower onto baking tray (preferably non-stick) and bake until edges become brownish.
- In a soup pan add 1 tbsp olive oil, chopped onion and saute until soft (5 min approx). Add a bit of water if needed to prevent from burning.
- Then add cauliflower into soup pan together with salt, rosemary, sour cream (or butter) and water (broth). Bring to a boil and let simmer until well cooked (10 to 15 min approx).
- Let cool slightly, then transfer to blender and blend until smooth. Garnish with some rosemary and serve warm with bread.