Easy, pan seared beef liver steak recipe for a juicy, delicious liver in 30 minutes. Recipe was given by my hematologist as complementary dietary support for my personal iron deficiency journey.
This easy pan sealed beef liver steak recipe was given to me by my hematologist when I was first diagnosed with severe iron deficiency a while back. So, today I’d like to show you how I cook my beef liver every week to complement the therapy my hematologist prescribed.
Iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia could be a deliberating health state to battle, especially when one experiences numerous (at 1st glance) not related symptoms. My personal journey, which continues to this day, has lead me to realize that a multidiscipline approach works best for my own body. Combining prescription with lifestyle and dietary changes has helped me get out of a deficiency that has affected my quality of life on so many levels. Below the recipe card, you can find some useful resources with regards to iron deficiency if you are 1st starting out.
*DISCLAIMER: This is not medical advice and was never intended as such. Please speak with your heath care provider and always seek medical advice in case of need. This video is intended to show you a delicious and quick way to cook beef liver at home. You would only require 3 simple ingredients and a pan. Hope you like it.
Ingredients & Substitutions:
- Beef liver – organic, grass fed (finished) young animal is preferred. Or pork liver and at last chicken liver if there are no other options.
- Olive oil, extra virgin – for searing in the pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
As you can see you do not need much to prepare a delicious beef liver steak at home.
Tips for the perfect Beef Liver Meal:
- Cut liver in even thin (1-3 cm, or one finger) thick pieces.
- Preheat pan before cooking.
- Cook on medium-high temperature to allow liver to seal all the good juices inside.
- Liver should be soft in the middle, but when you pierce it with fork meat juices should not be bloody.
How to cook Beef Liver – Video
What to serve with Beef liver:
- Ciambotta – easy pan roasted Italian vegetable stew recipe
- Mediterranean chickpea salad with lime and tomatoes recipe
- French Black Salsify Root recipe
- Mediterranean Eggplant Wedges Recipe with olives
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES:
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Kale and Rice Noodles (Instant pot friendly)
- Egg Noodles (Spätzle) with cheesy shiitake mushrooms and broccoli sauce
- Cellentani pasta with ground turkey and tomato sauce
- Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Beef Liver Steak Recipe (for Iron Deficiency)
Beef Liver Steak Recipe (or Iron Deficiency)
- 250 g (0,55 oz) raw beef liver , cut
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cut beef liver in thin steaks (1-3 cm thick), sprinkle with salt and pepper on each side.
- Preheat non-stick pan on high heat, then reduce to medium and add olive oil. Next, add liver steak to the pan and let sear for a few minutes until golden-brown crust forms.
- Then, flip steak over and let cook on both sides. Check with fork – liver should be soft on the inside and liver juice should not be bloody. If juice is still bloody, let cook for another minute.
- Remove from stove top and serve warm with vegetables on the side.
- the steak shouldn’t be too thick as it would not cook well on the inside.
- the steak should be soft on the inside (when pierced with fork), but no blood should come out of it.
- Preferably use beef liver from organic, grass fed (finished) young animal.
- Iron deficiency and the thyroid: article by Izabella Wenz
- Iron Deficiency without Anemia – Clinical case report
- Period related iron deficiency – The period revolutionary
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see full disclosure here.