Roasted sweet potato wedges (in the oven) with aromatic herbs, baked in the oven. These homemade basic sweet potato wedges are child-friendly, crispy on the outside and perfectly soft and flavorful on the inside.
Scrumptious, yet very basic sweet potatoes that go well with a number of meals and salads. What I adore about these wedges is they are particularly handy for a child to eat on their own (we just remove skin before serving). So, now my now-lazy–eater 5 year old (is that even a term), not picky mind you, eats them with no complain.
In Eastern Europe, where I currently live, sweet potatoes (and many other veggies for that matter) are seasonal in stores. Therefore, whenever in season I make sure to include these often in my meals.
BASIC SWEET POTATO WEDGES RECIPE – INGREDIENTS
The beauty of these crispy sweet potato wedges is that they require a handful of basic ingredients that most have in the kitchen.
- Sweet Potatoes – cleaned and evenly cut in wedges.
- Seasoning – sweet potatoes go well with all types of seasoning, personally I like using salt, pepper, dried herbs and/or sweet paprika.
- Fat – potatoes need fat to cook well. I prefer using vegetable oils (like extra virgin olive oil) instead of duck or other animal fats.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO WEDGES (IN THE OVEN) – tips
Choose young, not too big sweet potatoes, that are straight in shape. That way, while cutting them they preserve their shape well. On top of that once cut well, they cook evenly.
Keep skin on (no peeling required) if you want them to be crispier on the edges, but tender on the inside. These types of wedges are perfect for little kids – baby led weaning or older children.
The thinner we cut potato wedges, the crispier they get. When you remove skin off, they get crispier on each side. If you go with the skin off version place a baking foil, instead of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan to get maximum crispness on each side.
In addition, to achieve extra crispiness (especially on the outside), cook them on ventilation in the oven. Alternatively, these potato wedges can be cooked in an air fryer too, especially if you have a larger basket.
To ensure wedges are evenly coated, mix seasoning with oil in a small bowl, then coat the wedges on each side (leave skin with no coating) using a coking brush (like oil or pastry bush).
Do not boil sweet potatoes before baking them in the oven. As opposed to regular potatoes, sweet potatoes cook much quicker and thus require no boiling.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH SWEET POTATO WEDGES
In my opinion sweet potatoes (in general even) go well with proteins (like meatloaf, chicken or grilled fish). For a meatless (vegan or vegetarian) meal, we enjoy them seasoned with herbs and feta cheese topping, alongside a hearty salad.
Let’s talk about seasoning – what seasoning is good for sweet potato wedges? Well, pretty much anything and everything. They can be cooked with only salt and pepper, or much ‘fancier’ herbs – like paprika, onion powder, herbs Provencal or other seasoning of choice.
MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES TO TRY:
Basic Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges Recipe
- 4-6 sweet potatoes large
- 5-7 tbsp olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 tbsp oregano minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp basil minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp thyme minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash Sweet potatoes well under cold water (use brush to remove extra dirt if needed). Then cut each potato into 4-6 wedges (depending on sweet potato size).
- Place all potato wedges side by side (skin down) onto baking sheet (& baking paper) and cover with below olive oil + herb mix on each side. I prefer using cooking brush.
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil and all herbs and spices and mix well. Use for coating the sweet potato wedges with cooking brush.
- Then bake on 350F/180C until sweet potatoes are soft (check with fork/toothpick) and slightly brownish on top. Serve warm with a favorite meal and sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.