Delicious baked lemon mustard Steelhead Trout recipe for an easy 30 minute dinner. Our healthy salmon trout is perfectly crispy on the top and soft and moist in the middle. Baked in the oven, this steelhead is perfect for a quick meal on a weekday. Kid approved too.
Cooking fish is one of my favorite quick meals to do, especially when prepared in the oven. Not every day is a grill day, although I wish. Sometimes however, oven baked fish may take like boiled fish if not given the appropriate coating. No fear, this recipe has it all – perfect crispy top with mouthwatering soft and moist middle. Just like my kids like it.
BAKED STEELHEAD TROUT – Ingredients
- 700 g steelhead trout fillets – works with rainbow trout as well
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds, whole – not processed
- 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs – preferably organic
- 1 tbsp. lemon peel – fresh or dried works well too
- 1 tbsp. thyme – I prefer dried, but fresh works too
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon – medium size
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard – or other type of mustard
- 1 tbsp. olive oil – extra virgin
How to cook STEELHEAD TROUT – VIDEO
WHAT to serve with steelhead trout?
Steelhead trout is a non-pretentious meal that is less oily and fish-y than salmon. Thus, it goes well with any vegetable side or a simple salad. Personally, I like to pair my trout with this epic Mediterranean couscous salad with roasted zucchini and cucumber. Or, alternatively serve with our extra fluffy mashed potatoes (recipe that turns great with or without milk).
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
- Homemade sausage patties (basic recipe)
- Oven Roasted Eggplant Wedges (with olives and tomatoes)
- Easy Braised Beef Recipe (VIDEO)
- Baked Lemon Mustard Steelhead Trout (VIDEO)
- Simple Brown Rice with leeks, tomatoes and olives
Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe with lemon sauce
- 700 g steelhead trout fillets
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds, whole
- 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. lemon peel
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- In a small bowl add sesame seeds, breadcrumbs, lemon peel and thyme and mix well. Set aside.
- Next, prepare marinate by combining Dijon mustard, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well.
- Place trout fillets onto baking dish (preferably non-stick). Brush marinate onto the top of each fillet. Then cover with breadcrumbs mix.
- Bake in the oven under foil for about 20 minutes (180C/360F). Then for the last 5-10 minutes remove foil and turn fan on. That allows steelhead to get crispy on the outside. Serve warm with a side meal of choice.
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.