Simple yet delicious cod fish fillets, baked in the oven (or air fryer) ready in about 30 minutes. This lovely mild white fish is topped with sweet oranges and refreshed by aromatic herbs & ginger. Perfectly juicy and flaky, this cod fish is a perfect light and quick dinner for the weekday cook.
Cooking fish is one of my favorite easy and delicious dinners I can make on a busy weekday. A while ago, I declared I will never cook fish with bones in my life when my 5-year-old had a fish bone stuck in his throat. But that is another story. That declaration a few weeks though, I just couldn’t stay away from seafood goodness.
Codfish (called Bacalao fresco in Spanish) is a popular white fish choice due to its mild flavor and flaky, rich flesh. It comes in two general varieties – the Atlantic Cod and the Pacific Cod. Both if fresh are a perfect choice for this easy dinner dish.
Baked Cod Fish – Ingredients
- Cod fillets – cod fillets are the main player here. You can choose larger or smaller fillets depending on availability at the store. Here, cod fillets are sold in larger chucks. I do not usually make them smaller, as I want to preserve the gentle flesh from falling apart.
- Olive oil, extra virgin – add extra flavor to the fish.
- Orange juice – freshly squeezed orange juice adds needed acids to the fish, but also creates that sweet and soft aroma afterward (compared to for example lemon juice).
- Fresh ginger, grated – finely grated fresh ginger, mixed with the herbs below gives the fish the needed zest at the end.
- Oregano – dried or fresh, either way, works fine. Personally, I prefer dried.
- Mint – dried or fresh, either way, works fine. Personally, I prefer dried.
- Cumin Powder – dried fine cumin powder is preferred here.
- Salt – to taste as always.
How to cook Cod fish?
Cod fish can be cooked in several different ways – it can be baked in the oven (as this recipe specifies), air fried in an air fryer with a wide basket, grilled, and even pan-fried. Cooking time differs depending on the chosen method. It all depends on the cook’s preferred method. Here are some tips for the oven-baked method:
- Cover the fillets with foil for the first half (or more) of baking. Then remove foil at the end and let the fillets get that golden crisp on top. That way the fish remains juicy and tasty throughout the cooking process.
- Use your oven’s ventilation option at the end (if you have one) – the circulation of hot air (just like in an air fryer) extra crispiness to the outside parts of the fillet, leaving it tender and juicy on the inside.
- Try to not overcook it – fish is gentle meat that gets dry quickly. Check regularly if you are unsure. In general, if the skin of fish fillets can be easily separated from the flesh, the fish should be removed from the oven.
- If you decide to prepare it in an air fryer – be generous with the herbs and cover the fish well. Check regularly as depending on the air fryer cooking times differ slightly.
For more details please review the recipe card below.
- Simit (Turkish twisted sesame seed buns)
- Stuffed Eggplant with Pasta and Parmesan Cheese
- Candied Honey Carrots (in Air Fryer)
- Breakfast Ricotta Cheese Biscuits
- Roasted Zucchini Couscous Salad with Feta
Baked Cod Fish with Oranges and Ginger
- 4 fillets (1 1/2 pounds) cod, patted dry
- 1 large chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- Juice of one orange , large
- 1 tsp oregano , dried/fresh
- 1 tsp mint , dried/fresh
- 1 tsp cumin powder , dried
- pinch of salt, for seasoning
- orange slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 360F/180C.
- Pat cod fillets dry, then place into a baking dish while leaving space in between. Season with a pinch of salt. Then shred ginger finely after peeling the skin off.
- Mix orange juice, shredded ginger, olive oil, mint, oregano and cumin in a small bowl. Stir well until combined. Then generously brush cod fillets with the mixture on each side.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and place it in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes on 360F/180C. Then remove aluminium foil and let cod cook for additional 5-10 minutes (until slightly crispy on top). Garnish with orange slices if desired. Can be cooked on ventilation or in the air fryer as well.
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.