Authentic, old-fashioned Greek meatballs recipe with spices and potatoes. Requires no deep frying, can be made even in an air fryer. These delicious Greek meatballs are well known in Cyprus and Turkey as well. They are quick to make on a weekday and go well with all sorts of sauces and dips.
One of my favorite things to cook on a busy workday is meatballs. They are quick, easy and the kids love them. The special thing here are the shredded potatoes and spices that make the taste unique. If your kids (or yourself) do not like onions in their meatballs, you can just skip or mince them very finely with the kitchen robot, so no one knows what they really are (like I sometimes do).
This Greek Meatballs recipe as you can imagine is not the only one Greeks make. In fact, each family has it’s own variations. Some add cinnamon, which frankly my family didn’t like. Some deep fry them in vegetable oil, other make them with more/less potatoes. It’s all up to taste. hope you like my version as much as we do.
HOW TO MAKE GREEK MEATBALLS
Making these Greek Meatballs is so easy. Just shred potatoes, squeeze the water as much as possible. Then combine all, shape meatballs, roll in flour and cook as preferred. Personally, I do not deep fry. Instead, I add a little vegetable oil in the pan, place meatballs in and then put a lid on for the duration of cooking. Shake the pan a few times to rotate the meatballs and cook them on all sides if you decide to go with my method.
Serve warm with desired sauce, salad or side. I highly recommend pairing these potatoes with simple tomato sauce or my Mediterranean Olive Zucchini Couscous salad recipe. Then you’ll have a truly Greek dinner on the table.
1. To avoid deep frying cover a non-stick pan with lid and let meatballs cook in their own sauce and some olive oil.
2. Roll meatballs in flour to create a crispier outer layer.
3. Cook in air fryer by placing an air fryer sheet on the bottom to avoid meatballs sticking to the basket.
4. Squeeze the ‘potato water’ well before adding to the mix.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE GREEK MEATBALLS:
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Kale and Rice Noodles (Instant pot friendly)
- Egg Noodles (Spätzle) with cheesy shiitake mushrooms and broccoli sauce
- Cellentani pasta with ground turkey and tomato sauce
- Mini Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Beef Liver Steak Recipe (for Iron Deficiency)
Authentic Greek Meatballs Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes, finely grated
- 1 onion, red
- 1 egg, medium
- 60 g breadcrumbs
- 400 g ground meat, turkey/beef/lamb/pork
- 1 tbsp. mint, dried
- 1 tbsp. parsley, dried or fresh
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 4-6 tbsp. vegetable oil for frying, (like sunflower or peanut oil)
- 5-7 tbsp. all purpose flour for rolling meatballs in
- Wash potatoes under cold water and peel skin off. Then, grate each potato on a fine grater. Squeeze as much 'potato water' as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients and combine. Then, with wet hands start making oval-shaped meatballs and set aside.
- Dip each meatball in the flour ( I put the flour in a pot) and cover with flour on all sides.
- Preheat non-stick frying pan and add vegetable oil. Place meatballs in the pan and cover with a lid (that makes meatballs softer and juicer at the end). Cook on medium heat. In about 5-10 minutes, roll each meatball to cook on each side.
- Serve hot, with a sauce or a side of choice.