The perfect homemade chicken nuggets made in an air fryer (using chicken breast). Topped with sesame seeds, our chicken nuggets are crispy on the outside and soft & flavourful on the inside. They are also healthy, delicious and take approximately 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
When air fryers entered the market, I was very excited to try cooking with one. Our family rarely eats deep fried products, but we still want to enjoy meatballs and such (have you seen my juicy turkey meatballs recipe yet?). It came as a (happy) shock to me when my husband’s mum gifted us an air fryer for our anniversary. Happy wife, happy life they say. In that case happy daughter in law!
This chicken nuggets recipe was one of the first I put together when my air fryer arrived. They are exceptionally easy and quick to make, not to mention healthy. In fact you can bake them in the oven if desired. These chicken nuggets are made with boneless chicken breast, marinated with Greek Yogurt and Dijon mustard for a deeper flavour. Hope you like them too.
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets Recipe – Ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – the breed of the chicken affects the taste of the meal (as you can imagine). I personally use a French breed chicken that has been fed with non GMO corn. You can however use what is available in your region.
- Greek Yogurt, plain – healthy addition for the marinate that gives these nuggets a desired tenderness.
- Dijon Mustard – also needed for the marinate. I like this one here.
- Olive oil, extra virgin – also needed for the marinate.
- Salt and pepper to taste – for the marinate.
- Breadcrumbs – choose your breadcrumbs depending on the diet you follow (if applicable). Personally I use Italian fine breadcrumbs that I by at the Italian store nearby.
- Sesame seeds – you can use both black and yellow sesame seeds. Preferably choose raw seeds to skin double cooking them.
How to make the BEST chicken nuggets in the air fryer – TIPS
- Leave chicken nuggets sit in marinate in the fridge for at least 10 minutes. That gives them extra tenderness during cooking.
- Place nuggets in basket leaving some space in between, otherwise they stick to one another and thus become less crunchy on the outside.
- Cover the chicken nuggets well with the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds mix. Otherwise you”ll miss on the crunch.
- Check air fryer regularly to prevent overcooking. Overcooked chicken nuggets get dryer on the inside. Therefore check regularly if you are unsure if they are cooked through.
- Gluten-free version: you can use GF breadcrumbs or substitute with cornflakes – either way they are extra delicious.
- Change it up – if you’d like add more herbs and spices to the marinate depending on taste preferences.
- Simit (Turkish twisted sesame seed buns)
- Stuffed Eggplant with Pasta and Parmesan Cheese
- Candied Honey Carrots (in Air Fryer)
- Breakfast Ricotta Cheese Biscuits
- Roasted Zucchini Couscous Salad with Feta
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 3 tbsp Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- pinch of salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound (500g) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or GF if needed)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, raw
- On a cutting board, cut chicken breast into small (1-inch) chunks. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Then add Greek Yogurt, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well until all chicken is covered with the marinate. Leave to cool in the fridge (for 10 to 30 minutes).
- Remove from fridge and add sesame seeds and breadcrumbs. Mix well until all chicken chunks are well covered. Then using a spoon/hand place chicken nuggets into air fryer basket by leaving space in between. Bake on 200C/400F for about 10-15 minutes (check regularly as cooking time may differ depending on the brand). Repeat until all chicken nuggets are cooked. Enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.