Mediterranean 3 ingredient pie crust, prepared with olive oil instead of butter (vegan). Healthy, quick alternative to traditional homemade pie crust that is super flaky, rich and delicious. No food processor needed.
Today we are making a no fuss (vegan) super quick pie crust that can also be used as quiche base. Its flaky, easy to work with and very scrumptious. Personally, I rarely buy pie crust from the store, simply because it has a number of ingredients that I do not see as healthy. Instead, I opt for this simple (takes really 10 minutes to make) olive oil pie crust. Let me show you how it’s made.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Flour – Italian type 00 flour (or all purpose unbleached flour) – please note that you can use whatever flour you have, however you may need to adjust the water content slightly.
- Olive oil – organic extra virgin olive oil (if possible) give it that flaky
- Water – cold water preferably, or lukewarm.
How to make a pie crust
Preparing this 3 ingredient pie crust is super easy. By hand: add flour and water in a large mixing bowl. By mixing with your hand slowly add oil and knead until a soft, oily dough is formed (approx. 5-6 min). Alternatively, place all ingredients in a bread machine (dough program) or kitchen robot and knead until all ingredients are well incorporated. Roll out and use. Yup, it’s that easy.
How long to prebake pie crust
This pie crust can be prebaked if the filling is one that cooks rather quickly. This olive oil pie can be pre backed for around 10-15 minutes (preheated oven, 180C/360F). To pre bake the pie, prepare as described, then cover pie with parchment paper (that is perforated too) and add a handful of chickpeas or beans on top. That way during baking the pie will cook evenly on each side. Once removed from the oven, set aside and continue with your pie recipe of choice.
Please note, whenever I make quiche and use this basic recipe I do not prebake it – simply because I do not see a difference in taste and texture.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
- Easy Blueberry Lemon Waffles Recipe
- German applesauce cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies (Apfelmus-Kekse)
- One pot chicken in parsley sauce (30 minutes)
- Easy Cheese Bread (Georgian Khachapuri) -VIDEO
- Mediterranean Chickpea salad with arugula, tomatoes and lime
3 Ingredient Pie Crust (with olive oil)
- 200 g type 00 flour (or all purpose), (1.6 US cup)
- 80 ml extra virgin olive oil, (1/3 US cup)
- 60 ml cold water, (1/4 US cup)
- In a large mixing bowl add flour and water, then by kneading with hand slowly add olive oil. Knead until getting a soft, oily dough. Divide and use per usual.
- Alternatively, add all ingredients in bread machine/kitchen robot and knead until all ingredients are well combined.
- If you choose, you can prebake the pie crust. Place in pie dish, then cover with perforated parchment paper. Add a handful of chickpeas of beans (not cooked) on top to ensure equal baking. Prebake in preheated oven (180C/360F) for 10-15 minutes. Then, let cool and use as per pie recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see full disclosure here.